Monday, June 04, 2007

The Big Mango


Cairo Housing
Originally uploaded by hazy jenius.

I consider myself a well-seasoned traveller. I've battled pick-pocketing gypsies in Rome, sweated-out midnight trains crammed with drunken Japanese salarymen, and forced down bowls of intestines and larvae in Tibetan Yak-Hair tents as not to offend my hosts. Of course Cairo abounds with the expected hassles of travel, but still managed to throw me for some unexpected loops!

I tried to dress conservatively for my visit to a Muslim country, but even my casual clothes seemed to be attracting unwanted attention. The massive sunnies and fake wedding band didn't fend off the lewd stares, and obvious comments, so after a few days I added baggy clothes and head scarves to my disguise. Despite my efforts, the harassment continued. I was followed home by strange men every day, sometimes I would find them waiting at the entrance to my hotel. I addapted by learning some essential Arabic: "Show some respect," "Watch you hands, or I'll throw my sandal at you" and "In your dreams, you dog!"


Still , I was pushed, grabbed, yelled at and was even a target for a group of bullying schoolgirls (projectile apple cores!) I fended off street urchins trying to snatch the sunglasses off my face and had to use my best kick-boxing moves to defend myself from an esspecially aggressive perv. I even spotted a local resident gratifying himself over a tombstone...while watching and smiling at me. Eeeeeeeeewwwww!
I just didn't get it! what had I done to deserve this? How was I attracting this unwanted attention? Seems like "the Big Mango" tends to turn sour, especially after Ramadan, when the masses have been dying for food, a fag, and a shag. Could this be the reason for my week of torment in this city of sand? On the bright side, leaving Cairo made me appreciate the rest of my Egyptian travels.
Oh, and the pyramids were nice too.

1 comment:

bino said...

more entries! more entries! I love reading these!